Thursday, March 5, 2015

Put the Ga-bage in the Ga-bage!


 
"Put the ga-bage in the ga-bage," or as non-New Yorkers might say, "Please, put your garbage in the garbage." Anyway, now that we understand each other, this phrase is one that I came up with and use with my kids (Original, isn't it?). I find that children naturally think the floor, table, or couch, is a garbage can. They open up a lollipop, a piece of candy, a granola bar, or whatever, and simply drop the packaging on the floor. So, I have found myself saying, "Put your ga-bage in the ga-bage" and to my surprise, it works! My children and the other children, who have come to spend time with us, quickly learn that trash actually goes into the garbage can.

Well, I heard myself say that again today, to one of my own, and thought how this saying applies to us spiritually as well. So many times I hold on to the "garbage" in my life when I should really just let it go and throw it out. I pine over an offense, think on a hurt from waaaay too long ago, shame, guilt, even things I've said where I embarrassed myself in public and I'll have it replay in my mind. These things will come up, I'll put the DVD in, (if you will), and watch it replay over and over and over again.

And I'll tell you, some times I've actually gone and thrown out some of this junk, a hurt or offense in my heart, but then, someone will hurt me and I'll find myself going through the 'ga-bage' and pulling it out once again! It's horrible. I'll start talking to my husband about the rotten refuse I found in the trash, I know it stinks, and yet I'll look at it and examine it, as if it's going to help me forgive or move on. I should throw this stuff out and not go back and dig it out once it's in the trash.

There is a  scripture that says 'take every thought captive.' "We demolish arguments and every pretention that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:5)

Taking every thought captive and making it obedient to Christ- now that is amazing! It's saying, every time you have a thought that is negative, thoughts that tell you, you're a fool, you're not forgiven, they've hurt you and they'll hurt you again, no one likes me, I'm all alone, I'm a failure--you need to STOP, hold those words up to the Word of God, which is the truth--I am a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17), I am forgiven (John 3:16), I am an adopted son/daughter of God (Ephesians 1:5) and believe it. Basically, it's saying, "Through the ga-bage in the ga-bage!" Throw the lies out, and take in the truth!

Corrie ten Boom once said, "

                                          

I LOVE Corrie ten Boom and cannot believe how much we think a like! She is saying that God throws our sins into the deepest ocean and remembers them no more AND we shouldn't either. I say, throw the ga-bage in the ga-bage! Same meaning!

(I am not claiming to be like Corrie ten Boom in any way, I just thought that was pretty cool!)

God doesn't want us spending our day going through the garbage or the ocean, and pulling out our sin or offenses. He wants us to know and believe that the greatest sacrifice- the forgiveness of sin, has been taken care of and we do not need to worry about it. He's taken the garbage of our lives and has washed us clean- that is, if we let Him. Allow God to cleanse your mind. Cleanse your heart. Cleanse your body. Let Him make you clean by the miracle working power of His Son, Jesus Christ. Live today being set free from the sin, or hurt that weighs you down. Allow Him to help you put the ga-bage in the ga-bage and keep it there!

No comments:

Post a Comment