Thursday, July 13, 2017

Morning Moments with God: Day 124

                                Image result for Book of Matthew
Day 124: Do You Believe?
Please read the Bible verses for today:
Matthew 28:11-15

This story is only found in the Book of Matthew.

The Guards’ Report

11 "While the women were on their way, some of the guards went into the city and reported to the chief priests everything that had happened.12 When the chief priests had met with the elders and devised a plan, they gave the soldiers a large sum of money, 13 telling them, “You are to say, ‘His disciples came during the night and stole him away while we were asleep.’ 14 If this report gets to the governor, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble.” (Matthew 28:11-14)
The soldiers went to the very ones who had Jesus crucified. They went to the very ones who denied that Jesus was the Christ. They went to the ones who didn't believe. The soldiers, who didn't believe either and possibly the ones who saw or were a part of crucifying Jesus, told them of the miraculous. These men were not the disciples informing the chief priests that there was an earthquake, an angel and the stone was moved- it was Roman soldiers. But it didn't matter who it was that told them for they did not believe and would not believe that Jesus is in fact the Son of God, the Messiah, up from the grave and alive forever more! The chief priests refused to believe and so they had to conjure up another plan to hide the truth- more money was paid out. More lies spoken. 
My thought is, 'How?' How did they hear the truth and not fall on their faces and repent? How? Soldiers report that in the presence of God that they 'fell like dead men.' These strong, fearless soldiers went limp in the presence of Jesus. Why not give in? Why not give up? They, the chief priests, were clearly wrong and clearly lost. So many people today refuse to see the truth and surrender their lives to Jesus. May that never be said of me. 
 15 "So the soldiers took the money and did as they were instructed. And this story has been widely circulated among the Jews to this very day." (Matthew 28:15) What I LOVE about this Scripture verse is how it shows up in the book of Acts: "So the word of God spread. The number of disciples in Jerusalem increased rapidly, and a large number of priests became obedient to the faith." (Acts 6:7) How cool is that!!! The chief priests may not have believed, but the soldiers story got out among the priests and a 'large number' of them believed! Hallelujah!!!
Pray with me:
Jesus, I believe you have died for my sins, that you rose again and are alive in Heaven today. 
Dear Lord Jesus,
I know that I am a sinner and need Your forgiveness. I believe that You died on the cross for my sins and rose from the grave to give me life. I know You are the only way to God. So now I want to quit disobeying You and start living for You. Please forgive me, change my life and show me how to know You. In Jesus' name. Amen.
If you would like more information on what it means to give your life to Jesus, please go to CBN.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment