Sunday, November 24, 2013

Home-Made Christmas Stockings

Seventeen years ago, when I was on the cusp of  being a married woman, I began thinking about our first Christmas together. I searched for matching Christmas stockings, (yes, I am a geek) but I couldn't find any that had the Nativity Scene-the true meaning of Christmas-on them. Everything seemed to be covered with Santa's, snowmen, and the like. I finally came across a counted crossed-stitched set. I had never created a cross-stitch project that was 'counted,' but I was determined to learn! Here they are!



 I worked on them all year and gave it to my new hubby as a Christmas gift.


 A few years later, when baby number one came along, I thought about how much I wanted him to have a stocking that had the true meaning of Christmas represented too, but couldn't imagine cross-stitching another stocking!
The hunt began. 
I found nothing.

So, I was left with the idea of making my baby his own stocking, but this time it would be made out of felt. And because I knew we would have more than one little babushka I began working on four stockings at once! I thought of the main characters that are a part of the birth of Jesus:
Joseph and Mary, the shepherds, the three kings, and the angels.

My first little one was a boy- he got the shepherd and sheep stocking.
The shepherds story is so wonderful. 
A whole host of angels appeared to them and sing the great news of  the birth of God!
After the angels left them, the shepherds went running down into the town shouting the Good News
through out the streets! (They were very first evangelists).
Then, can you imagine, the awe of meeting Jesus face-to-face.


My second child was a little girl- she received the angels!
The angels are very much a part of the birth of Jesus.
From the first-telling Mary she would give birth to the Savior of the world,
to an angel appearing to Joseph in a dream,
to the shepherds, and to Joseph again warning him to leave Bethlehem and flee to Egypt.
God speaks to us in many different ways-and clearly He uses angels for His greatest news!


My next child received the Nativity Scene.
What a Holy night.
No movie has ever depicted for me what that night must have really been like.
You cannot capture the Holiness of God on film.
Jesus, the Son of the Living God, left heaven and came to earth-as a baby.
No words can grasp it either, nor my simple felt design,
but it is here to remind all of us what a holy night Christmas really is.


the fourth stocking I made was of the Three Kings or wise-men.
How incredible that three, or more men, followed a star and found the KING!
Three very wise, very learned men found themselves in a stable. They see a poor couple and a baby in a manger.
Their natural minds must have thought that they miscalculated something,
but the holiness of the room in which they entered brought them to their knees
and presented a baby with exquisite gifts-gifts for a king.


  I had covered all the characters from the Bible story covering Jesus' birth in my four stockings,
 but now baby number five was due to arrive! I had to think. 
Well, my little guy loved animals, so I created the manger scene again,
but this time with the animals surrounding baby Jesus.


Now, my sixth child's stocking really challenged me.
 I had really, really, covered all the characters from the story.
But then I remembered how the story really didn't end at the stable.
I made Mary, Joseph and Jesus traveling to Egypt!
God had protected them from King Herod and they were safe.
I love this stocking so much-it continues to show God's provision for those He loves.


Here they all are! All eight, home-made by Moi!
The completed story from the first stocking to the very last. 


After I made all the stockings,
I used the stencils I created to make the stockings
to make a tree skirt to match.





I love that each child has part of the story of Jesus' birth.
That they are visually reminded of what Christmas is really all about.

The story of Jesus' birth so totally fills me with awe!
Be encouraged that Jesus, the Son of God, came to earth
died for our sins,
rose again,
and lives and reigns in heaven today! 
If you do not know Him, but would like to know more about Jesus
please feel free to write to me.
Many blessings to you all and Merry Christmas!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment