Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Is it a Wonderful Life?

I just finished watching the movie, "It's a Wonderful Life." (If you haven't ever seen it i highly recommend it. If you haven't seen it in a long time-revisit it).  It is a movie that always makes me cry-in a good way. Cry because God answered George's prayer waaaay above what he ever thought or dreamed of.  It's a movie that proves that our God is generous. It's a movie that proves that God has a plan for each person's life. It proves that God uses all things for His glory. It proves that God is aware of the things that matters to us. It proves that God does not abandon His people. It proves that God's plan is a good one-even if we can't see it.

So the basic premise of the movie, "It's a Wonderful Life," is that the character George Bailey wants to leave his home town, travel, go to college, be an architect, become a millionaire and do great things for the world-even possibly become famous, but none of his dreams for his own life come true. He grows weary, working hard and not accomplishing the things he deems important for his life. Then his Uncle Billy does the unimaginable--he looses $8,000!

George states to Uncle Billy, "One of is going to jail! Well ain't gonna be me!!"
George is terrified of the future. He's discouraged over his past. Life is no longer worth living. Then he prays a simple prayer,
"Dear Father in heaven i'm not much of a praying man,
but if you're up there and you can hear me show me the way.
 i'm at the end of my rope. show me the way."

A simple prayer-that some might even say - a prayer without faith-but God answered him.
Part of his prayer is answered when he meets his guardian angel-Clarence.

Clarence gives George the chance to see what life would have been like if he had never been born. Absolutely incredible! Can you imagine being able to see this life if you had never been born?

When George sees how badly the people in his life turned out without him Clarence says:

"Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives.
 When he isn't around he leaves an awful whole doesn't he?"

 He also says:
You see george, you really had a wonderful life.
 Don't you see what a mistake it would be
 to throw it all away?

When george realizes this for himself, he prays again:

"Clarence-help me, get me back, i don't care what happens to me,
please, I want to live again.
please God let me live again."

George goes back to his life and everything is exactly as he left it: He'll still be arrested for loosing $8,000, he's poor, he has no college degree, he's not an architect and he's still in the very town that he always dreamed of leaving- BUT he's happy. He sees how wonderful God had blessed his life with a wife and children. He sees how God worked through him to touch so many lives and how the whole town stayed pure because he was able to fight the town's nemesis-Mr. Potter. He sees how God used him to do great things.

I love how in the beginning of the movie he says: "One of is going to jail, but ain't gonna be me!! But by the end he's found to say: "Isn't it wonderful? I'm going to jail! different perspective-only God can do that!

One of my favorite quotes of the movie that always makes me cry is:

 "It's a cable from London-
" Mr. Gower wired you need cash. stop.
 My office  instructed to advance you up to $25,000
- hee-haw and Merry Christmas. Sam Wainwright. 

God is never late. God is never worried. God always has a plan. God never abandons.

So, why have I told you about a movie that you already know so much about? Well, my husband was trying to explain part of what motivates me to do the things I do or the passion behind the things I do them to a dear friend. He said of me;  "Ellen wants her life to count for something. After all she’s been through, she believes God rescued her for a reason. Her heart is that of the person who has been forgiven much – she loves much, and wants to love God with all her heart by loving His people with all her heart." So, I guess I'm a 'George Bailey' of sorts. I want my life to count for something. I really do believe that that statement, "wanting my life to count for something" was at the heart of George Bailey desires. Not wanting to do the daily grind without a purpose-without a heavenly goal.

I, personally, want to give back to others what God has so freely given to me. I want to share the hope I have, the love I have, the freedom I have experienced with others because without the touch of God in my life I would have none of it.

Like George Bailey, I still have dreams. I still have hopes of being used by God. I have something in me that wants to do something big. I have no idea what that might be, but I know that I'm not done yet. Don't know if I've even really started- I'm still looking, but for right now, I know I'm right where God wants me and my heart is full. And because of that- I can say confidently, 'It's a Wonderful Life!"

No comments:

Post a Comment