Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Missions Mom

So, I'm a stay home mom. I'm a homeschooling mom. I have a faithful husband and six children. I'm busy.

Too busy for missions? Too busy for ministry? No. Never.

I don't know what it is about me that just won't quit. I'm like the energizer bunny. No matter what I have going on in my own personal life-I have to minister. It's not a need to be filled. It's not to look good. It's not to please my pastor. It's just that I know that God has given me certain gifts, talents and there is a need in the church. I can't sit idly by and not help. I mean -I can sit still - if I'm not called to help, but when I feel like God is asking me to do something-I cannot say no.

Funny story : I was newly pregnant and was asked to be the VBS director. I had never directed a VBS before. Had never even attended one as a child. but my husband and I really believed God was indeed asking me to do it. When HE leads me, He gives me the vision, strength, wisdom and ability to do it.

Now I know some people would say "family first." and yes, my family does come first, but they are not to be everything either.

In being a part of different ministries over the years while raising children-I've learned a few things:
1. God comes first. If He says do it, just do it.
2. Know that God will give you the wisdom on how to get the laundry, cleaning and cooking done.
3. Know that God will give you wisdom on how to train your children to help you so you can go and minister.
4. Have your children a part of the ministry. Allow them to see you serve and they will have a heart to serve.
5. Allow the ministry to change you. it has changed me. challenged me. I am not the same person I once was.
6. Never stop serving. see the big picture. Christ was all about serving. If we're faithful in the small things, we'll be trusted to do the big things. and I want to do big things for Christ.

I cannot even wrap my brain around not serving. how do you not serve? How do you not help?

No comments:

Post a Comment