Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Studying Philippians Day 7


Philippians 2: 5-11
"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in the very nature God,
did not consider equality with
God something to be 
grasped,
but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a 
servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a 
man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death-
even death on a cross!
Therefor God exalted him to the 
highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee
should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under
the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus
Christ is Lord, 
to the glory of God the Father."

This for me is among the most powerful and holy Scriptures in the Bible. I have not much to say about it because Paul wrote it out so clearly.

"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:" (2:5) I love the way my Bible commentary explains this verse: "Your attitude...the same as...Christ. In spite of all that is unique and radically different about the person and work of Christ, Christians are to have his attitude of self-sacrificing humility and love for others." I talk several times a week about 'attitude.' It sounds something like this: "Watch your attitude!" "Apologize for your attitude." "Didn't you hear your own attitude when you said that?!?" Yep, I know a lot about 'attitude.' My isn't much better. I'm pretty sure my children have learned much of their 'attitude' from watching mine. I know well what an attitude shouldn't be: negative, sassy, rude, resentful, etc. But a Godly attitude is submitting to Christ in surrender and ready to be a servant.  Christians are called to have a servant's heart, the lowest form of servant's heart, 'sacrificing humility and love for others.' I know I still have a long way to go to be all that I'm called to be. I have been convicted by these verses every time I read them.

"Who, being in the very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness, And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death-even death on a cross!" (2:6-8) "Who, being in the very nature God," (2:6) My commentary points out, "Affirming that Jesus is fully God." Jesus, who is God, made himself nothing by: 1. became a servant, 2. made human, 3. humbled Himself and 4. "became obedient to death- even death on a cross!" The commentary says,"He did this, not by giving up deity, but by laying aside his glory and submitting to the humiliation of becoming human. Another view is that he emptied himself, not of deity itself, but of its prerogatives- his position and glory of deity. Emphasizes the full reality of his servant identity. As a servant, he was always submissive to the will of the Father...How Jesus humbled himself.  'servant' obeys. to death. Stresses both the totality and the climax of Jesus' obedience. on a cross. Heightens Jesus' humiliation; he died as someone cursed. Crucifixion was the most degrading kind of execution that could be inflicted on a person."

Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." The commentary also states, "God's design is that all people everywhere should worship and serve Jesus as Lord. Ultimately all will acknowledge him as Lord, whether willingly or not." That may be hard to read for some, as we try to be so 'open minded' and liberal these days, but the fact remains and it is here to remind us hat there is only one God, one Lord and His name is Jesus Christ.

Today's Prayer:
Thank you Jesus for all you have sacrificed for me. Thank you that you loved me so much that you left heaven, became human-a servant, and died on the cross. Thank you for the forgiveness of my sins and the gift of eternal life. I give you my life. Form me as clay in your hands to be all you want me to be. I love you. In Jesus' name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment