Monday, January 16, 2012

What God Forgets

What does God forget?
He can't forget anything by accident, He's perfect.
So, what He forgets, He forgets on purpose and it's good.
Imagine that. I mean when have you ever forgotten anything
a) on purpose? and
 b) it was a good thing? and people were happy with you?
It's never happened to me.
Only God can do that.
When God forgets our sin, it's a great thing.

"I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more." (Isaiah 43:25)
He forgets our sin.
He remembers us, but forgets our sin.
He loves us that much.
It's truly inconceivable.

Scripture says, "...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23) All of us at one time or another did something wrong- sinned. "You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us . (Romans 5: 6-8) We are all in the same boat-sinners. No on greater, no one lesser. We all have sinned. We all needed a Savior and in Jesus Christ we got one. He bore our sins. He did it. Our job is to accept Him and confess our sin. "I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent. In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” (Luke 15: 7-10)
 
"For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." (Psalms 103:12)

"I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me for I have redeemed you." (Isaiah 44:22)

"Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." (Isaiah 1:18)

"For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” (Hebrews 8:12)

We may plead as the psalmist did in Psalm 25:7 "Do not remember my wicked ways", but we really don't need to. Once we confess our sin to God, it's forgotten. No guilt. No shame. No memory of it. As Jesus said, "It is finished."

I love that Jesus forgets my sin. I have a hard time forgetting it, and so do a lot of the people I have hurt, but He doesn't. I love that I can wake up in the morning and have a new day, a new chance to be more like Jesus. I don't walk around with the years of sin on my back, trying to undo it all, trying to prove myself a different person.  I love that I am free from sin. Free to be more like Jesus.

What Jesus forgets, my sin, is wonderfully freeing!
 Jesus, help me to live in the freedom you have provided. Help me to offer that same 'forgive and forget' to others. Help me to be more like you. Thank you Jesus, I really needed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment