Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Easter Eggs

Like most, our annual tradition is to dye eggs-Easter eggs, at Easter time. So, because I have been doing this a loooong time, I have thus saved a ridiculous amount of egg cups, dippers, and dyes-all essentials for proper egg coloring. This is how we do it.


1. While the eggs are boiling slowly on the stove, the kids and I gather around the the table to make the different dyes. We get everything ready for our hard-boiled eggs dying to begin.

2. Because waiting is sooooo dreadful, I've come up with "empty-egg" dying! I have taught my children how to 'blow' out eggs. We use push-pins or tacks to make a small hole at the top and bottom of the egg. Then, over a bowl, we blow! The egg is empty in minutes! and then on to the next!  After each child has blown out at least four eggs each, we begin to paint, decorate or dye each egg. I must tell you that 'blown out' eggs FLOAT! So, a whole lesson can be taught on what makes the boiled eggs sink!

 The BEST part is when they are all through they can be displayed! All  the eggs in my 'chicken' (above) are eggs that have been blown out. Now we can enjoy our Easter eggs during the Lent season!

With some of the blown out eggs we decided to make a hole in the middle of the egg, stuff it with a cotton ball, and place a chocolate bunny inside or a cross made of play-doh.






Oh, lastly, we use the eggs that have been blown out for dinner! I scramble the eggs, make some bacon and biscuits and voila! dinner is done. 

3. By the time they are done with dying their empty eggs, the hard boiled eggs are waiting patiently for the children.

 I use two dyes of every color: Two reds, greens, yellows, blues, purples, pinks and oranges.
Yes, if you've counted that's 14 egg shaped bowls of dye.
 This reduces many arguments and that my friend is free motherly advice ;)






A very Happy Easter to you and your family! 
May you "grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ."
 (Ephesians 3:18) 

No comments:

Post a Comment