Monday, September 16, 2013

She's Forgotten Me

I never believed it was possible.
I never thought she'd forget me.
I knew I wasn't her favorite.
I knew I wasn't special.
But there were times...times where I made her laugh.
There were times she seemed to want to hear my stories.
I wanted to believe I was special enough not to forget, but I have been forgotten.

This autumn marks seven years...
                      seven years of her forgetting me.

She is my mother- a mother of seven children. Were there just too many of us for her to look after?  -did she have too many children? Did she like the first few and give up after that? Or did she just not like the last one - me?

I am a mommy of six children. I do not have too many. I cannot stop looking after each one- they are all my heart. I cannot imagine forgetting even one of my children. When we walk through stores or busy places like Busch Gardens I am always counting heads, always saying, "Where is ....?" and then the children will inevitably say, "He's right here!" I've had nightmares of one or more of my children passing away and I think to myself, "I will never forget him/her." I even wonder how I would be able to continue life without them.

So, how is it possible for a mother to forget her child?

My conclusion: It just is. There are some women who do forget their own child, and sadly, the Scriptures say it is so. "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! (Isaiah 49:14-16)  God put that Scriptures in the Bible because He knew countless ones of us would have a mother who would forget them. He wants us to know that He, our Father in heaven, is not like our parents here on earth.

The truth is, I have been forgotten by my father too. Actually, he forgot me first. He let me go without a fight. He had had enough, I guess. He wanted peace and quiet. He never asked me a question. Never said goodbye. It was like he pushed me over the edge of a precipice and he never looked back. I was gone.

I have been forgotten by my four sisters. How can it be? Did I mean nothing to any of them? Did I not, in our thirty-five years of sisterhood, make some impression? But alas, I have been forgotten.

"Though she may forget, I will not forget you!" (Isaiah 49:14-16)

He will not forget me. He will not forget me. HE will not forget me.

I have to believe it. My Father in heaven, with all of His millions and millions of children to look after, will not forget me. How is that possible? To be honest with you...I have no idea, except to know that He is God. You would think it would be much easier for a mother to remember one of her own children-I mean she doesn't have millions of children, but she isn't perfect. She isn't God. God is God. God is perfect. God does not forget His children.

"Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments."  (Deuteronomy 7:9)

I love you my Father, my God, my Daddy. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for not forgetting me when so many others have. Thank you for being so faithful. Thank you for being my Rock of truth that enables me to stand each day. My heart, my life, is yours.








No comments:

Post a Comment